The goal of this mod is to provide an updated port of the Halo Combat Evolved campaign to Halo Custom Edition.
Halo Custom Edition is a moddable version of the PC port of the first Halo game. This version is a free standalone upgrade of the PC version, but, requires you to legally own a retail PC CD Key in order to play. You don’t need the retail version installed in order to use the key, however.
Halo Custom Edition, by default, has no singleplayer campaign. Years ago, Renamon worked on porting the campaign to Custom Edition. The problem? The port was riddled with issues due to corruption caused by the process of extracting the assets from the retail PC edition, such as graphical corruption and AI not being able to throw grenades, and he/she never attempted to fix these issues. No one else has, either… at least for the stock campaign. Everyone loves to make modded campaigns (no disrespect, some of these modded campaigns are really good), but, no one has ever attempted to fix the stock campaign… until now. Using resources found on Halomaps, as well as those provided by community members, I am trying to fix as many issues as I can, not only with the port from PC to CE, but, also from Xbox to PC. I hope to get a finalized release out in the future, though its something I’ll have to work on when I have the drive too (basically, it is done when it is ready). Here is a list of fixes that are implemented and those I want to implement.
Fixes from PC to CE;
- Fixed AI grenade throwing. AI couldn’t throw grenades because of corrupt throw velocity values for actor_variants (thanks to various people, such as Masterz1337, for providing info on this, as well as estimate values for the velocities).
- Addressed Sentinel shields so they aren’t constantly visible on Sentinels that don’t have shields at all. Though I think, due to some issue with the modifications Gearbox made to CE’s engine, I can’t seem to get the shields to appear only when damaged.
- Fixed an issue with health packs on A10 (Pillar of Autumn) and D40 (The Maw) that were on the ground when they were suppose to be on the wall.
Fixes from Xbox to PC;
- Fixed several instances of missing multipurpose maps and shaders, such as for the Assault Rifle and Halo ring (thanks to Bungie for the original assets and to various community members for bringing them to Custom Edition).
- Addressed issues with Jackal and stationary shields. Because of the rendering engine for Halo on PC, these issues can’t truly be fixed. Jackal shields are now colored based on rank, and both those and stationary shields have a damage shader (I originally used CMT’s Jackal Shields, but, switched to the Lumoria shields. Thanks to TM mapping team for those. Also, thanks to SOI7 for the damage shader for the stationary shields).
- Fixed fog in the exterior areas of B40, so that it looks just like what can be found on the Xbox.
- Fixed several lightning effects, such as those found in C20 (The Library) and the Monitor’s lightning tendril.
- Fixed a couple of instances of objects having incorrect impact materials.
Fixes to implement from PC to CE
- Fix graphical issues with glass on B40 (Assault on the Control Room) and C40 (Two Betrayals).
- Fix some encounters, so they work properly, such as the first encounter on a50 (Truth and Reconciliation).
Fixes to implement from Xbox to PC
- Fix the issue with the shuttle bay door on A50 missing its off shader.
- Fix the Longsword missing its multipurpose map.
- Fix the missing shield flare for the Master Chief’s shields when recharging.
- Fix Cortana not changing colors in Halo’s Control Center.
- Fix issues with fog on several levels.
- Fix some other graphical issues caused by the port from Xbox to PC.
- Fix the off-center elevation markers inside the Sniper Rifle scope, and modify the Sniper Rifle scope overlay to look more like the Xbox version (namely, saying 10x, as opposed to 8x, for the 2nd level of zoom).
- Attempt to fully fix the sentinel shield problem.
Get the updated maps from here;
Every level is available for download. Though the port is not 100% complete yet. While I have been on an extended break from this, I do plan on finishing this up. However, if the rumors are true, and Halo: MCC is ported to Windows 10 (and it works good as well), then this project, in its current form, will be canceled (though I’ll leave the downloads up). From there, I might possibly work on a minimod I mentioned in my one of my past articles, which brings the multiplayer content into Campaign. If I do this, then I’ll still fix issues with the Xbox to PC to CE port, though some levels will not be pure vanilla, namely b4o (AotCR, because of replacing the chaingun Warthog with a rocket Warthog), c20 (The Library, for the added Flamethrowers), c40 (Two Betreyals, for the Fuel Rod Guns being replaced with playable variants), d20 (Keyes, for the added Flamethrowers and playable Fuel Rod Guns), and d40 (The Maw, for some chaingun Warthogs being replaced by rocket Warthogs, and playable Fuel Rod Guns).